Re: TI-H: TI-89

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-89

> Also, what if the ROM modules ARE the same?  They might just have some
> conversion hardware that either clips the screen, or scales it down.  I
> wonder what would happen if you put an old 92 ROM into the new 89.  Maybe
> someone should try it?
>
> With this new flash technology, as I understand it, it is possible to put a
> new OS onto the chip.  With 1 meg of space on it, why not put a modified
> MacOS?  When I say modified, I mean, moving the command keys around, and
> pointing the ADB port out the link port (we'd have to supply power
> seperatly.)

  The ROM in the TI-89 is not removeable!  It's got a TI-92+ module stuck right
in the board as if it was a normal part of the calc.  The upgradeability is
simply the ability to change what's in the Flash ROM.

  TI will never release the directions for erasing and reprogramming the flash
chips containing the OS.  We'll have to discover that one ourselves.

--Bryan
bcturner@eos.ncsu.edu