TI-H: Memory expansion: ESF

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Memory expansion: ESF

>Last I checked (a week ago) there were still about 2000 each of the
>NM29A040 and NM29A080 chips available for purchase. These are the 512kB
>and 1MB chips which were used at the core of the Expander SF by Mel
Tsai.

>If I wrote an enhanced TI-85 driver for the ESF, got some of these
chips,
>and built them into expanders, how many people would buy? Cost for a
512kB
>ESF would be about $25 to $33, and the 1MB ESF would around $40.
>
>And how many people would pay more for an expander, based on the same
>chip, with microcontroller to run an LCD panel and a few buttons in a
>small alpha-numeric pager case? This particular model could be
controlled
>entirely through TI-OS, but I'd make an ASM driver as well.

I would recomend building the ESF as a SPinTerface cartridge. The ESF
was so small that you could buy one of those 9-pin connector housings
(from Radio Shack. Not the actual connecter, but the plastic case around
it). The ESF chip would fit nicely inside of it and still have room to
spare!!!

The link version of the ESF could be continued, but cut standard TI-TI
link cables. A lot of people complained about the mouser cables actualy
damaging the link port! I had to fix one once!

I'd say, if you do go with a microcontroler, make it use the AT whatever
chip in the EII. If you make some awesome microcontroler based system,
use a decent part. DO NOT use the ESF chip for ANY new designs or when
they do finaly run out, you'll be caught in a MEGA jam. Use the same
chip as the EII and them MMODs can be exchanged!!! Give it a cool name
like E2 (E squared). It'd look cool on a web page, and does make it look
interesting. If you can figure out TI link protocol, and emulate it, you
could use the lCD to send stuff and the link window to send stuff. It
could possibly even recieve from the TI graphlink software!!!

Try it, but DO NOT USE THE OLD ESF CHIP FOR ANY NEW DESIGNS. This will
only lead to it becoming obsolete again.

I do however recomend making the SPinTerface ESF, because of it's low
price and small size!!!

Richard Piotter
richfiles1@hotmail.com

The Richfiles TI Page