TI-H: EII, EII, EIV, & MMODs

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: EII, EII, EIV, & MMODs

All of the "mods" will be outdated for the EIII
>anyway...

Grant, do everyone a favor and tell us about the EII, EIII, and EIV or
whatever you're working on now.

List the features of each, and the memory capacity, and also, the ONLY
way the EIII can't use MMODs is if it uses a memory chip with a
different number than the EII memory chip. Is the chips different? Is
that why the MMOD won't work on the EIII?

Also, DON'T, PLEASE don't quit making the EII the moment you make the
next new expander. Brian quit making the EuP chip when the EII was
announced, and for MONTHS, we've had to wait. Then when something new
comes out, the device is sudenly obsolete, and the memory module can't
be used with any other device. I say, make the future expanders backward
compatible with the SAME memory chip used in the EII and EuP. It should
read the EuP and EII file formats, and allow backwards compatibility.
You should be able to format EII MMODs and EIII MMODs, if there is any
difference. I can't stand this! A device becomes obsolete on this list
before anyone ever has a chance to produce it!!!

And worry about getting the EII and ALL it's drivers complete before you
split your valuble resources on another expander or two. Finnish a
project before you start 1 or 2 more (and countless other NON expander
projects)!!!

If you realy want to do every one a favor. Make the EII and get it
going, and then make future projects able to read and write EII MMODs.
The MMOD is not that expensive. If you have a plan with TONS of memory
avaliable, great, but have the built in memory and the MMOD. the driver
could treat one as a hard drive and the other as a floppy drive. You
could copy files between the EIII memory and the calc, the MMOD and the
calc, and between the MMOD and the EIII memory.

Add backup feature to it and a busy LED and I'll be happy!!! If
something works and does everything, why try to add more??? You could
simply make the chip and leave it at that! Produce that for a while
untill something truly revolutionary comes along. How about adding some
sort of id that the calc would send via the link port and then the id
would call the MMOD or the EII internal memory, but use a different id
for other AVR's. That way, you can produce an AVR that does many things,
or have upgrade AVRs that can be added to older systems and not cause a
problem. Another idea, would be sound! Have the AVR generate waveforms
for a DAC and it would have an id. Then ASM could call the memory
expander and the sound, even if both are plugged in. If a shell or a
library were to have all the ids, and link port use run through it, you
could create a VERY awesome serial bus option!!!

Richard Piotter
richfiles1@hotmail.com

The Richfiles TI Page
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html