Re: TI-H: random email

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: random email

Brenda Hughes wrote:

> ***Faster Than A Speeding Bullet ***
> What has 9,200 Pentium(r) Pro processors, is faster than a speeding
> bullet and simulates a kilometer-wide comet striking the Atlantic
> Ocean in its free time? The answer is the Intel TFLOPS
> Supercomputer, which broke the world's fastest computing record by
> calculating 1.34 trillion operations per second (teraflops) (making
> it faster than a speeding bullet). By the time a bullet travels one
> foot, the computer will have completed 667 million calculations.

It is interesting to note that a 30-06 rifle bullet travels at 2800
ft/sec. which means that it takes 3.5E-4 seconds to travel one foot. The
minimum number of Mhz required for a CPU to go faster than a speeding
bullet would be (1 insturction)/(3.5E-4 sec.) or 2857 insturctions per
second. Asuming a 32 bit instruction that means that a minimum of .92Mhz
(thats right .92 not 92) to go faster than a speeding bullet. All of
this to say Big Deal our clacs can alrredy do that. Assuming 6Mhz and an
8 bit instucrtion the calc can preform 262 caculations in the time it
takes a speeding bullet to travel one foot. If it were a 32bit machine
it could do 66 calculations in that same amount of time.

-mj <matt.johnson@wmich.edu>