Re: TI-H: TI-Glow

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-Glow

From: Jon Olson <morph@jmss.com>
>Erm...the inverter is there because the EL panel likes a LOT of
voltage
>(400 volts is good, but they do run directly off wall sockets in
various
>nightligts).

Most EL film is good up to about 220vac, and some will run up to a
few hundred volts with no problems.  Manufacturers can manipulate
the construction to accomidate many voltages.
Frequency is also a consideration, higher frequencies give brighter
colors.

>I don't have one installed myself (David, are you gonna start
>selling kits again?...i'd like to get on that list)...

As Richard noted, I did have another kit, but I think its been sold
already.

I have been considering discontinuing the kits, as there really isn't
anything it it for me (the profits from the sale of 7 kits isn't even
enough
to get me a kit).  However, if there is demand, I'll continue to sell
them
at $30 each.  (and I will not raise the price again).

>but from what i've
>heard, there is some visibility loss however, it's fairly little.

Its not too bad, if you normally use it in a classroom setting,
there is a little loss in readablity, but it is acceptable.  In the
dark its great :)

>The only
>that you'll have to be careful about is that you don't damage the LCD
when
>removing the foam behind it...

Yep, thats the biggest thing.

DK