RE: TI-H: Off-topic MP3 question...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Jeff Dezur wrote:

> There isn't a video card, so I don't need to worry about that taking time.
An Intel architecture PC won't boot if there is no video card present. I
work in a repair shop where I've seen a lot of computers, and never has
one booted without a video card. It'll just sit there and beep.

> Also, does anyone know how to make a power inverter for this thing? I
> need to go from 12V to 120V, for the power supply, so I can use it in my
> But i'm having a problem finding a cheap 150 watt power inverter. Is it
> easier to just buy or easier/cheaper to make it?
Unless you're an experienced electrical engineer, I wouldn't suggest
designing your own inverter. I wouldn't do it, anyway. Wouldn't be worth
all that work when I could buy a nice neat one in a small box for about
$60 (?).

I might be more inclined to build some hybrid device which combines the PC
power supply and the inverter, though. It would take the ~12v power from
the car (usually more like 14v) and regulate it at 12v. It would also
regulate a 5v output. You'd need some sort of charge pump or something to
make the -12v and -5v supplies, too. I think that's all you'd need..

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com

Follow-Ups: References: