TI-H: Off-topic MP3 question...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Off-topic MP3 question...

Hello!

I am in the midst of building a small computer system, designed to just
play MP3 files. Currently, I have a mini-motherboard (donated to me by a
friend), A 486 DX4-100 OD processor, and a 1.2 GB HD. I have everything
else that gets used with it, like RAM, case, SB16 soundcard (built-in), and
a power supply. What I am wanting to know, since within the past few weeks
there has been some talk about MP3s on here, is using a 486 DX4-100
OverDrive chip, is there enough power to decode a MP3 at 16bit, 44kHz,
stereo? If not, what is the lowest speed pentium that can possibly decode a
MP3 at the  specs listed? I might be able to get a "mini" pentium board for
free from my work, but I really don't want to spend the extra few bucks for
a processor (since I have the DX4). I am only planning on using Dos or
Linux (probably Linux) for the OS, so no "background" processing is to be
done by TSRs. Is there enough power in the processor to do what I'm asking?
Email me personally, so we don't pollute the list.

Jeff Dezur
jeffd@wwnet.net