Re: TI-H: MPG's and Misc Ideas

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: MPG's and Misc Ideas

>Um, SCSI isn't a failed interface. IBM PC's use it for superior speed, it just
>never caught on with the masses because it used to be so much more expensive
>than IDE. (IDE on IBM's USUALLY come on the motherboard, not always but
>usually, so its just the cost of the drive, no worrying about which connector
>am I supposed to use? or I have to terminate it???, you just play and play, or
>set one jumper and plug and play. With SCSI you need a host adapter, then you
>need to know the SCSI id's of everything etc. Too hard for the 'end user',
>refering to those people who turn on the computer, but don't have a clue past
>playing some games and installing stuff.)

With IDE, all it was in the beninning was a few bus transcievers and
latches.  The "IDE" interface is basically an AT bus hacked for easy access
to hard drives...  Now companies have really screwed the meaning of IDE to
the point where its "Ultra-ATA".  But, I've tested an ultra ide drive to
work fine when I have had absolutely no IDE controller in my PC/XT...

Btw, IBMs have "plug and pray".  thats all dos/windows can mannage, and not
even that.  Its almost a given that 9/10 times your custom computer will
have some problems...

>SCSI is also on ALL mac's, but I refuse to buy one for multiple reasons, one
>of which is the total lack of support for it from 3rd party developers, just
>try to buy StarCraft when I could buy it on IBM, its not going to happen. Any
>way, Apple was smart and used SCSI insted of this crappy idea we call IDE.
>(Yeah, I'm talking about the original IDE, where the throughput sucked no
>matter how fast the drive was spinning) So thats why I use SCSI, and so do a
>lot of professionals, so really it wasn't a failure, it just isn't wide spread
>because the average computer user it too stupid to figure it out.

Macs came with SCSI since 1983.