Re: Re(2): Re(2): TI-H: MP3s

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re(2): Re(2): TI-H: MP3s

From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>

[about mp3's]
>It isn't the music, but the quality...
>
>4 minute CD track:
>*~55MB in CD format
>*~4.5MB in MP3 format

Hardly matters when my music is on CD anyway.  I don't store
music on my computer.

>and most of all, you can hardly reliaze any decrease in quality!

I can hear it on my speakers, and on my cousins Marantz and Snell
equipment it is obvious (still sounds pretty good, but not nearly as
nice as the CD).

Ever mp3 encode a pink noise sample?  Try it.  Listen to the result,
then listen closely to an MP3 on good equipment, you should be
able to hear similarities (I can anyway, I was successfully able to
distinguish between CD and MP3 in blind testing on my homebuilt
speakers (using Viva mids and tweets and 18" subs), most of the
time anyway).  I'm not saying MP3 isn't good quality, just that it
does
sound significantly different then the CD version.

I'm all for more compact storage, my entire CD collection (~150)
would fit into just about 10GB if MP3 encoded.  Drop a bunch of the
songs I don't like and I could fit it all onto one 9GB drive.
If I had an extra monitor and sound card, I'd consider setting up my
extra computer to replace my CD player.  But I don't, so I don't
bother collecting MP3's. (I do have an 800mb graphics library tho...:)

DK