Re: TI-H: ide hd stuff

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: ide hd stuff

>>You forget that the spinup current on a typical desktop 80MB hard
>>drive can be in the 3+ amp range and operational power usage can be
>>over 10 watts (for all you kiddies out there, that means it would EAT
>>batteries like candy)...  It's useless unless you were carrying around
>>a car battery and it would be totally impractical to use.  Even
>>bryan's POS E2 can get 15 operational hours on a 9V batt.
>
>A Caviar 280 WD drive only yses .2A on 5 volts and .4A on 12 volts...  :)
>I can handle the high startup power anyway...  :)

Uhh, grant :)...  That's 5 watts right there, at like 10% possible
access speed...  Go faster and you could break 20 watts.

Four fresh alkaline 'C' batteries can supply 5 watts for less than 40
minutes...  A $50 1250mAH camcorder battery would give barely 1 hour.
That doesn't take into account the 25+ watt surges that are possible
with desktop drives.  Wow, great battery life :).

-Mel

Follow-Ups: References: