RE: TI-H:PowerPC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-H:PowerPC

I don't think that there is one URL for the whole thing.  However, the
collection of files that you want is at:

  ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/redhat-5.1/i386/

You'll need to repartition your drive (using fips, in the dosutils
directory, if you want to save your Win95), and then copy the inst images to
a boot disk or else use the autoboot thing that can load linux from dos.
Installation is fairly easy, but not 1/2 as easy as installing Win95 (and 98
is even easier).

I would recommend that instead of spending the next month downloading RedHat
:) you get a $2 CD from http://www.linuxcentral.com/.  It's Red Hat Linux
5.1 GPL , part #L000-007, and it costs $1.95, plus shipping (about $5, if I
remember correctly).

You might also want to get Running Linux, 2nd Edition from them.  It's by
far the best beginning Linux book.  It leads you through installation, and
on to much more advanced stuff.  The writing is clear, concise, and it's not
so much that you get lost or bored, but not so little that you can't find
the answer.  The book costs $21.95 there (plus shipping), but I got it at my
local bookstore for $19.95 (and I didn't have to pay shipping).

One more great source of info on Linux is the Linux HOW-TO, at
http://www.sunsite.unc.edu/linux/.  Check the hardware compatibility HOW-TO
to see if Linux will work with your hardware.  Especially check the video
card, because XFree86 (kind of like Windows for Linux) is picky.

If you have any more questions, e-mail me privately.  I posted this here
because I think there are a lot of people in the same situation that may be
interested.

Sincerely,

Bruce

--