TI-H: Fixing Grant's friend's PC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Fixing Grant's friend's PC

Yeah, it's old :)
Seriously, sometimes older hardware will start to fail, SIMMs especially, since
that wonderful advent of non-parity RAM (originally only used in Macs... gee,
thanks, Apple)
You seem to have connections.  Try to get a hold of a SIMM tester, and figure
out if that's a problem.  It can kill performance and screw things up
occasionally.
Next, do a completely clean install of 95.  That is, format the drive, and
start from scratch.  Don't leave a trace of the old stuff behind.  You might
also need an OSR2 CD, but that's not always the way to go either.  OSR2 isn't
sold in stores for a reason :(
And finally, check every last piece of hardware.  Random failures are usually
indicative of a serious problem, or a boot sector virus (I've seen some fake
out most diagnostic programs).

Good luck,
CK

Grant Stockly wrote:

> >I have win95 and my computer has been runing for about 12 days now with no
> >problems
> >
> >joe
>
> 12 days is REAL good for win95.  Good job.  :)
>
> Okay.  Now I have a friend.  The same guy with that 100MHz 486 with 1.5MB
> of pipeline burst cashe.  He was just using win3.1 and it just stopped.
> Even all of his costly windows tools wouldn't respond.  He installed win95,
> and neither his "WinModem" or COM2 or 3 will work.  Does anyone whats wrong
> with his system?

Follow-Ups: References: