Re: TI-H: Power PC

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Power PC

>Grant Stockly wrote:
>> Just by hearing the name PowerPC, you know its better than any Intel or
>> compatible.  The PPC uses RISC technology (~4 years old) and the intel
>> processors use CISC technology (~22 years old).  For one thing, the C
>> stands for complicated and the R stands for reduced.  If you want, I can
>> show you a programming example for each in machine code and you can see
>> which can do the same process faster.
>
>Ummm... CISC stands for Complex Instruction Set Computer. Complicated
>and Complex have different connotations.

yes, I know that, but it sounds better if you are from the reduced side of
processors...  ;)

>Both CISC and RISC machines have their advantages. Modern Intel
>processors
>grow more RISC-like every year, and most AMD processors are fully RISC
>already. The line between the two is growing very thin, even the Atmel
>AVRs have multiply routines and they are RISC. Some ancient CISC
>processors don't even have multiply instructions. When you say that
>RISC is 4 years old, I am a bit curious as to how you arrived at
>that number. The z80, for instance, is technically a CISC processor
>but its instruction set is in many ways less useful than the AVR
>RISC set.

I was talking about the PPC RISC technology which is about 5 years, but was
released 4 years ago.

>You should know by now that the computer industry does not always select
>the absolute most advanced hardware. Popularity is often determined
>by many factors, such as advertizing, existing user base, compatability,
>etc. Even so, I question that argument that the RISC PPCs are always
>faster and more code efficient than any existing CISC processor. It
>simply depends on what you are doing.
>
>Irregardless, the mac OS is a bloated, patronizing and, in my
>experience,
>very unstable system.

Yeah sure...  And is anything by MS better?  :)

I havn't restarted my computer since I left for fairbanks on 6/17/98, and I
had to restart it so that my new e-mail scripts would work correctly.

---

To Subscribe to the ACplay mailing list, please send a message to
gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACPLAY"

To get an e-mail every time http://gussie.alaska.net is updated, please
send a message to gussie@alaska.net with the subject "SUBSCRIBE ACNOTIFY".

To talk to me direct, I'm 'weridguy' on AOL IM service.  I don't have an
AOL account, just the IM thing.

Thanks.

Follow-Ups: References: