Re: TI-H: Replacing Capacitorr with Crystal?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Replacing Capacitorr with Crystal?

Actually TI wasn't at all sloppy. Quartz crystals are extremely
expensive (just look in a digi/mouser catalog) whereas an RC pair
is extremely inexpensive, especially when you buy 100,000
resistors/caps at a time. There isn't any real reason for a precise
timebase on a TI calculator anyway. I personally would have chosen
a resonator just because they tend to be closer to the labeled value
than an RC pair (capacitor tolerances being around 20%) but even
a resonator would have been much more expensive than their SMD r/c's.

Additionally, Quartz crystals are prone to shattering and I'm sure
most of the students on this list have dropped their calculators at
least -ONCE-. All in all TI knows what its doing...

You can pretty easily yank out the RC combo and put in a crystal if
you so chose, as long as there is an inverting crystal driver on
the z80 in there. I'm not too familiar with z80 board design but
I'd imagine it has two pins (Like the PICs/AVRs) for its osc, one
to drive a crystal and the other as an input to its clock circuitry.
Chances are the RC pair doesn't touch the crystal driving pin and
just feeds its clock right into XTAL1.

Or you could go to your local K-Mart and buy a Timex watch for $10 :)

--
Bryan Rittmeyer
mailto:bryanr@flash.net