Re: TI-H: TI85 link port repair?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI85 link port repair?

From: Greg Hill <gregh@xmission.com>
>> I am looking for information about the possible repair of the
>> link port on my TI-85.  I had the calculator for about a year before
<snip>
>On new calculators, the link port is frequently difficult to get the plug
>all the way in. Sometimes it takes an exceptional degree of force, and
>then the plug goes "pop" and you think you've just broken something.. but
>it works. The rounded plastic around the plug should go mostly into the
>recess on the TI85 when the link is all the way in.

I'll give it a try, its been so long since I tried it that I have
forgotten how
it looks.  The calculator case has a low serial number on it, but I think
the ROM version is 9.5 or something like that (again, its been a long
time since I checked, and without a link port, I have to retype everything
into the calculator if I clear the memory to check).

<snip>
>Mouser Electronics might have a socket that would work. One thing you
>could try is to jumper from the link cord directly to the PCB, going
>around the link socket itself. That would tell you if the problem is in
>not getting a good link connection, or something else.

I think I checked the port once with the 'scope,  but I was having a hard
time keeping power to the calc (with the case off).  Unfortunately I no
longer have the scope, and I'm afraid the voltmeter just isn't that fast
:)

>> This calculator has been 'over clocked', the cap in what I assume
>> to be the master clock replaced with a 1pf.  I don't think that this
will
>> effect the operation of the port seriously, but I thought it worth
>> mentioning.
>
>Overclocking could have messed up the timing of the link port. Try
slowing
>it back down to the original speed and linking again.

I don't think I have actually tried linking since I over clocked it, I
figured
that since it wouldn't talk to the computer, it might as well be fast :)

>I could look at it for you if you wanted to ship it to me..

I'll keep that in mind, thanks for the offer!

David Knaack