Re: TI-H: 4-Way Doodad

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: 4-Way Doodad

Grant Stockly wrote:

>>It seems that the project has grown quite a lot... :) I just wonder if
>>there's much use for it, but now that it's cheap it could have a future.
>
> Come on...it is just as much of use to people as yours is...  :)

Well, it's probably of more use than mine... =)

> It uses its own protocall.  After studing the TI protocall, I made one that
> was different, but would function with the TI calcs.  Its knida weird to
> explain, but it works...

Oh...

> I just want to get at least $.50 for spending months programming for it.
> Things such as the printer server, modem server, bootstrap server, ect.
> will be on the internet with GPL and such licenses

Paying $.50 sounds awkward, but that's your problem...

> There are no (well there is a junky one) networks for commodore, apple, ...
> that are all compatible with each other.  Should I ask you what makes your
> network of use and why are you continuing with it?

I'm not trying to make MBus work with all kind of stuff (computers,
printers, other peripherals), and it is unique (except for your system) in
that it allows TI networking.

I just mean there's a lot more of work with your system than with mine, and
I wonder if it's worth the effort. It seems to be great technically, but I
still doubt that it will ever become popular because it's so, well,
confined. If you can make, say, a generic driver for every platform which
works with existing applications, it will be much more useful than if you
had to make every application yourself. But I wonder if this is possible
with old computers, newer ones (eg. Macs and PCs with
Windows/Linux/whatever) shouldn't be that hard to make drivers for.

> I've also got some bets chips to controll your house.  EVERY thing except
> the $5 hub chip will be on the internet for free.  Its kinda like shareware
> but I get $.50...

How do you intend to collect the money?

> If you need some ideas on what else this network can do, please ask...
>
> Hard Drive server
> Apple II series
> Commodore
> VIC
> TRS-80
> IBM
> MAC
> Wang
> Osborne
> Flash memory storage
> House controll and automation
>
> All using the same protocall.  Even on the ancient Apple IIe (.7MHz), you
> can communicate with a 533MHz Mac or 333MHz MMX...

Yes it _can_, but is there need for it?-)
Showing people that the system is useful might be your biggest obstacle.
Good luck.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone ***