Re: TI-H: Re: IR Link Status (was: expensive remote control)

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re: IR Link Status (was: expensive remote control)

>> Sami Khawam wrote:
>>
>> > -Another possibility is the change the MChat and
>> >  make it compatible with the link.
>>
>> If it is possible, without deviating from the I2C specifications, then
I'll
>> do it. But I think that in this case, the hardware should adapt to the
>> software's needs in every way, except for the speed, because it's hard to
>> make a fast IR link.

>What I ment was to change the protocol used by MChat so that the
>circumstance that generate the error (that was described before) will
>never happen. For example,the TI protocol does work with the Line State
>mode, the I2C protocol doesn't.

I think his point is that an IR link should work with existing protocols
that work over a wire.

>> > -And the other possibility is the change MChat so
>> >  that it won't use the I2C protocol, but the TI protocol
>> >  , since this protocol is fully working.
>>
>> What's the point in that? MChat is a multiuser chat program and uses I2C
>> because it allows many calcs to be connected. The TI protocol is
restricted
>> to 2 calcs and there are TI protocol chat programs other than MChat.
>

>An IR signal sent in the TI protocol can be recieved by multiple
>calcs, not only 2.

But not sent to specific calculators, and only if responses are ignored.

<snip>

>By adding one transistor to each line the problem can
>be very easily overcome. But before making this, we
>have to see if we could solve it by software.

I think the idea here is a link should effectively duplicate the response of
a wire;
Rather than alter an established protocol (used for devices other than just
calculators, MCHAT is simply a demonstration program.)  "Solving it by
software" could well break support for those external devices.  A class-room
accessable Ext*nder-type device might be quite useful.

Robert Cicconetti
rpg@hotmail.com