Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

From: Gabe <gabeman@earthling.net>
>David Knaack wrote:
>>
>> From: IGGYBIG@aol.com <IGGYBIG@aol.com>
>> >damn. next thing we know someone is going to want to know how to
>> >make C4 from bleach.
>>
>> About 10 mins after I sent that my VP came up and fired me.
>> Any body need a pretty decent Delphi programmer?

>Did I not warn you guys? How can there be any GOOD use of a system
>involving bombs?

What kind of silly question is that?  Bombs (aka explosives) are used
for many good reasons, mining comes to mind.  Around here explosives
are about the only way to get a basement or septic system.

IMO, there is absolutely nothing wrong with discussing bombs and
methods of triggering a bomb or what kind of bomb/explosive is
appropriate for a particular use, none of that is illegal under federal
law.  The actual manufacture of an explosive without a liscense to
do so is illegal, however discussions of how to do so should not
be (I don't know the laws on that for sure though, judging by the
pryrotechnics news groups it is not).

>> Question 1.
>> Do you believe that any data stored on company equipment
>> is property of the company, including personal data created
>> or downloaded by the employee using that equipment?
>
>Yes unless the equipment was given or sold to you. If it is owned by the
>company, whatever is stored on it belongs to the company. If you export
>data to another machine, it is no longer company property.

I Agree, unless that data was created under contract to a company,
in which case they still have IP rights to it (as do you, unless you
specificly wavied them).

>> Question 2a.
>> Do you believe that any data you cause to be transmitted
>> across any computing device on a network is legally inspectable
>> by the owner or that device? (this includes the internet, every
>> machine this data goes across is owned either by the govenrment
>> or a corporation).
>
>Only if the owner of the equipment has notified the user that
>transmissions may be monitored (before transmission occurs).

Ignorance of policy has never been a justification for breaking it.
'Usage indicates acceptance'  clauses are common in policy
documents, and seem to apply even if you are unaware of the
existance of the document.
Therefore, a service provider could legally maintain a policy that
they monitor, record and search every piece of data that passes
through there system without notifying you.
Also, if they have the right to search any data that is on their
equipment, then they have the right to search any data that
you cause to be transmitted through their equipment.

>You have to
>consent to be photographed and filmed, why shouldn't consent be required
>for data transmission monitoring?

Actually I think that the law states that if you appear in a photographic
record
you have the right to prevent that image from being destributed (you have a
non-exclusive copyright to part of the image, specificly, the image of you).
(I haven't seen the laws on this though, this is just what I seem to recall
from
reading about it on the 'net).

>> Question 2b.
>> If said data is encrypted, should the owner of a device the
>> data passes through have the right to either decrypt
>> the data, or legally order decryption by the transmitter?
>
>Nope. If s/he is monitoring the data, all s/he can have is the data
>itself. If he can't decrypt it, it's his problem. If you sent a picture
>across your company network in some crazy obscure format and your boss
>couldn't open it, he shouldn't be able to make you open it for him
>should he?

I agree completely, encrypted data is intended for viewing only
by parties who have access to the decryption key, anyone else
is free to view only the encrypted data.

I'd like to see encrypted data be transmitted without headers
indicating that it is encrypted, that way it would be very difficult
to prove if it was encrypted or not.  Then you could occasionally
transmit blocks of random data, which would be impossable to
distunguish from encrypted data, except by the reciever.
Anyone monitoring the connection would have no idea if you
were transmitting encrypted data or garbage.

>> Question 2c.
>> If the answer to 2b was no, should law enforcement agencies
>> be able to legally order the decryption of data when they believe
>> that it pertains directly to a crime?

>Nope. Cracking it is their problem.

I think it should be illegal for them to attempt to crack the encryption.
Encrypted data should be treated the same as info stored in your
own head, if you don't want to reveal the data, or even reveal the
nature of the data, there should be no recourse for law enforcement.

Indeed, forcing you you reveal data that you know would incriminate
you would violate your 5th amendment rights.

>> Question 5.
>> Do you believe that posession of a homebuilt explosive
>> device (that does not violate the federal law against
>> manufacturing your own explosives, ie, a device that
>> uses commercial dynamite, purchased legally, but
>> fitted with a homebuilt initator) should be illegal?

>Yep, but you have to define explosive. The government might twist that
>to make your furnace or anything that ignites be classified as
>explosive.

So posession of a stick of dynamite with a wireless detonator
of your own design and constrution would be illegal, whereas
posession of a stick of dynamite with a commercial detonator
(that is, a detonator designed and sold by someone else)
is legal (and it is, according to federal law)?

>> Question 6.
>> Do you believe that testing a device as described in
>> question 5 on your own property, in such a manner
>> that it would be unreasonable that it could cause
>> damange to someone elses person or property
>> should be illegal.  Note that detonating commercial
>> explosives such as dynamite is acceptable under
>> federal law.
>
>Uhh don't you have to have a license to blow stuff up? Sure you can blow
>up whatever you want if you have a license.

No, according to federal law you need no license at all to purchase
and detonate explosives (if you are over 21 years of age), as long as
you do not manufacture or store them.  Of course local laws will apply,
you probably cannot detonate explosives inside city limits without some
kind of license and permit.

DK