Re: Re(2): TI-H: mind vs. computer

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Re(2): TI-H: mind vs. computer

In a message dated 12/16/98 10:56:41 PM Central Standard Time,
rosyna@earthlink.net writes:

> > when i see acomputer cry when it hears mozart, or understad
>  > picasso's political messages, then i can say that computers have
>  > outdone us.
>  Heh, can be done now.
Uh... no.  You can program a computer to cry when it hears a certain tone, or
whatever, but you can't make it have emotions.  It might identify a pattern,
but computers cannot see a picture as a whole, and understand a message.
> > the human body as
>  > a machine is the most powerful even created. it can sustain heavy blows
>  > and regenerate within a short amount of time.
>  A computer can do the same, If a comp crashes it starts up and checks
>  hard drive and fixes itself.
Computers do not withstand a shortage of resources for any amount of time
(humans can live without food for at least 2 weeks, water at least 2 days,
computers can't go without electricity.)  Also, computers do not fix their
physical attributes.  It can't regenerate/reproduce.
> > we can move in any direction, travel over extremely bumpy and treacherous
>  > terrain, we can scale vertical walls.
>  Point? Tomb Raider.
He's saying the computers themselves, not a simulation.

Rob Hornick