Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Demolition Calc

>Let's say I've got an operating budget of $20, to make the receiver and
two
>bombs.

Two individually addressable bombs, or two that will be set off
simultaniously?

>Would it be possible to make a transmitter for the calc,

Still don't know why you want to use the calc for it, a seperate
device with a switch would be far easier.  All the calc is going
to do is use one of its signal lines to trigger some circuit that
will act as a switch.

>which sends out a signal, which is received by the bomb, which
>sends electricity to the fuse, which ignites?

Go to radio shack and buy the "communications" mini-engeneers
handbook ($5).  Look at the radio device schematics, you will
find some that work basicly as a wireless telegraph, this is
what you want.  Buy the parts that you need, shouldn't come
to more than a few bux, assuming you have some electronics
stuff at home.  If you have old electronics equipment you can
probably canablize transistors and such from there if you don't
want to buy some.

Go to the local Wal-mart or model shop, pick up some model
rocket motors (package of C size is usually around 5-10 bux),
they will come with ignitors.  If you can buy the ignitors
seperately do that, unless you can come up with a way to use
the rocket motor (shouldn't be difficult, these things are
a blast, literally).
Alternately you might be able to invent your own ignitors
using match heads and fine wire.  Carefully powder a few
match heads and put them on a folded piece of news paper.

Solder a thin strand of wire between two larger pieces.
The thin wire should be only about a cm long. Choose wire
that is thin enough that it glows red hot when attached
to a 1.5v battery, but not so thin that it melts and breaks
before it can ignite the match powder.

Lay the thin wire across the match powder and fold up the
paper into a little package with the thicker wire sticking
out the ends.  Test it, it should burst into flame when you
attach the battery. Crude but effective.  For a more powerful
version, visit your local head shop and buy some gel caps.
fill a gel cap with match head powder and insert the wire
in the end of the cap (use a needle to poke a hole first,
its fairly tough stuff).

Build the transmitter.  If you set it up so you can transmit
a continious tone (couple of seconds, long enough to active
the ignitor) you can simplify the receiver so the output
does not need any kind of latch.

Whatever you build, be sure to test it very well before you
use it, you don't want to set it all up and have it fail.
Be sure to test the transmitter/receiver over ranges longer
than what you plan to use, or test them in the actuall location
with a dummy load before you do the real thing.  Then you can
come back and get the receiver and check to see if it worked.

Naturally, be careful, don't blow or burn off any fingers,
in addition to the pain, that will give your plan away.

BTW, thermite in an inch long piece of drinking straw embeded
in modeling clay would have a high chance of welding any two
pieces of metal together (think 'locker doors'), and isn't that
hard to make.
Wouldnt' recommend it on non-stone floors tho, the stuff will
burn through damn near anything.  Might start a fire, and that
just isn't a good practical joke.

DK