Re: TI-H: Re:

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Re:

>From: Grant Stockly <gussie@alaska.net>
>>>The cheepest one you can build costs 7 jumper wires, an LED, a 25pin
>>male
>>>plug, and a 20pin DIP socket.
>>
>>Hmm, thats pretty darn simple, I wouldn't even have to buy
>>anything for that, whats the disadvantage?
>>Does the kit include a programmer?
>
>Its not a kit.  :)

I was refering to Atmels starter kit, sorry, Iwas a bit vague.

>And if you have a fast IBM compatbile, or a new one it
>won't work.  newer computers throw out extra high power parts on the
>parallel port because they aren't needed in new computers.  They just
don't
>drive the programmer.

I see, does that mean that older ports will source more current than
newer ports?
Would a handful of transistors and an external power supply fix this
problem?  And is it worth fixing, considering that the start kit comes
with a serial cable for programming (so says the AVR page).

>It does things like enables the onboard osc.  So you don't have to have
any
>external components.  Kinda like the GCX.

Hmm, the onboard osc sounds like it would be nice, are there
disadvantages to using it? (assume so, or it would probably be enable by
default).

thanks
DK