TI-H: Re:

>Hi all,
>	In the past, several members of this list have made reference to AVR
>microcontrollers, especially with respect to the E2 project.  I would
>like to start experimenting with microcontrollers, and I thought this
>would be a good place to ask some questions, even though they might not
>necessarily be on topic.  (Z80!  :)
>	First off, I'm wondering what exactly AVRs are capable of.  I'm looking
>to be able to control electronic devices (motors, relays, light bulbs,
>LEDs, etc.) with my TIs (86 and possibly 89) and also to be able to send
>data back to the TI (from motion sensors, light sensors, etc.).  Later
>on, perhaps, I'd like to control other projects I might dream up.  Is the
>AVR the best tool for these jobs, or would I be better suited with other
>components?

AVR's can also drive VGA monitors...  Thats good for a $2.50 chip...

>	I'm also wondering about cost.  Are AVRs very expensive?  (Grant's
>comments about Bryan Rittmeyer's E2 AVR pricing come to mind.)  I saw on
>Atmel's web site a $49 "starter kit."  Is this worth it, or is it just a
>waste of money?

Bryan adds $12 profit to each chip.  The real price for the chips he sells
is $2.50.  The kit is worth it.  The kit includes all of the assemblers,
simulators, and a serial port AVR programmer.

>	Another question I have is that of programming.  Do I need to learn
>another form of ASM?  Atmel's site mentioned C.  Do I need a separate C
>compiler for this?  How do I burn programs onto an AVR?  Do I need a $500
>programming device (screw it!)?

You need to know generic RISC asm, which is almost the same as CISC except
that RISC processors commonly have 32 to 64 general purpose registers where
CISC have 2-6.  Thats just an example...

All uC/Ps can address external memory, but that takes more instruction cycles.

>	Finally, how much support is there for AVR development?  Are there
>newsgroups/listservs/etc. devoted to their use?  Does Atmel provide
>telephone/email tech support?

Atmel gives you the tools and docs.  There are about 3 different lists now.
One is totally freaked out about off topic posts and kicks everyone off who
does so much as asks where to find info on parts for their television set
(I'm still on the list)...then there are other lists, one www based and one
www/e-mail based.

Grant