TI-H: LCD Panels

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: LCD Panels

I received my LCD panels from All Corp yesterday.  I mentioned
that I would post when I got them, so heres the info.

The 640x480 panel does come with some documentation; I don't
think I would call it complete, but there is plenty to figure
out to drive it.

The panel does not maintain a static display, to make it easy to
use it will require a microcontroller and probably about 38k of
ram to run it, depending on how you want to run it.  The micro
will have to refresh the display constantly, cycle time is about
10ms.

It has a built in digitizer that requires a few other components to
make it go, including a stylus.  Probably a single microcontroller
could handle the entire system, but the docs list some recommend
parts.

I also bought a 26x2 character LDC, which I attached to my parallel
port last night.  I accidentally attached the power backwards the
first time, and only figured it out when I went to measure the voltage
out of the 7805 and found only 2.5v.  By that point the main chip was
getting pretty warm.   I figured I had blown it at that point, but
after hooking it up right it seems to run just fine, uses a grand
total of 3ma.  Too bad my parallel port won't supply more than 1ma
per OC line (and that pulls it down to 2.5v), or I could power it
directly off the parallel port.  Maybe the desktop machine will be
able to supply some more power.  I suppose I could put it in 4 bit
mode and use the other 4 data lines together to supply power.  I
guess at 3ma its a pretty good canidate for battery power though.

Anyway, now I have a functioning LCD display attached to my parallel
port, I can output text to it with no problems, pretty cool, now
I just need an MP3 player I can control from software and I'm almost
done!

DK