Re: !!!Magnet Wire!!! TI-H: URGENT regarding EL backlight

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: !!!Magnet Wire!!! TI-H: URGENT regarding EL backlight

I don't know if this discussion is still going on but i've said it
before, and it's worth restating.  Magnet wire AKA Winding wire is
designed for making magnetic fields when wound around a iron core.  This
is the same wire in all those DC motors in your slot car, RC Car,
basically any electric motor.  You can also wind this wire and run a
current through it to make an electromagnet.  While none of us expected
this much interference, this is very much unshielded wire designed with
the explicit purpose of causing an EMF.  Usually, you have to wind it
into a coil/cylinder many times to form a decent field, but the high
power of the EL panel must override that.  I would recommend not using
magnet wire for anything but magnets/armatures.  You can find plenty of
small wires that are suitable.I have some regular, insulated copper wire
about 1/32 in diameter.

Oh yeah, and I'm back from vacation.
On Sat, 01 Aug 1998 03:19:57 -0500 Richard Piotter
<richfile@prairie.lakes.com> writes:

>David, when i odered my first EL kit, i argued with you about magnet
>wire, and
>I realy didn't trust the enamel coat and stuff, but it has held out
>long and
>well, and it worked great, except for the MASSIVE EMF that the EL
>produced. I
>had one calc so bad that the LCD had a rolling light and dark ripple
>from the
>EMF (It takes a powerful EMF to influence an LCD in that fasion from
>my
>understanding of the circuitry.
[snip-a-roo]
>--
>

>Richard Piotter
>richfile@prairie.lakes.com
>
>The Richfiles TI Hardware and BASIC web page:
>http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

Follow-Ups: References: