Re: TI-H: EL Backlight installed!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: EL Backlight installed!

From: KrazyJolt <KrazyJolt@aol.com>
>I'm just wondering...
>would it be safe to plug the EL into 120 volts ( would it be safe to
have the
>wires from the EL lead into a port attaching to a wire which goes
into the
>wall)

Yep, you can do that, its pretty bright though, might be better to
drop
it down to around 80 or so with a transformer first.  It certainly
won't
hurt the panel to run on 120 tho.

>also i found a schematic for something that extracts 120vAC from
12vDC... i'm
>not sure if it gets 60vAC from 6 volts DC... if it does reply...
>here is the link:
> <A
HREF="http://www.execulink.com/%7Ecake/circuits/inverter.htm">Inverter
</A>

I belive I've seen that particular page before, and the circuit many
times.  Pretty standard actually.  One thing you can do with this
circuit
is increase the frequency and observe the effect that has on light
color
and output.  The power output only has to be a few milliamps, the lamp
uses around 3ma per square inch.

The voltage output depends on the ratio of the transformer windings,
in this case, 10:1, so 12v->120v.  A 6 volt input would put out 60v,
unless you used a different transformer.
For powering the lamp, you would want the smallest transfomer you can
find (smallest power rating that is, the winding ratio is still
important).
You might even want to try and wind your own, a tiny autotransformer
might
be sufficent to supply the small current.

DK