TI-H: Choices: Super I/O III (EIII): As I Said...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Choices: Super I/O III (EIII): As I Said...

We could also choose these Super I/O III parts (I have limited addressing,
so we can't have everything...

I'll post a design that throws out IDE and adds some other features...
Again, this full setup should cost $15 to $20 from me and require $5 of
extra parts...

SuperI/O III
+Floppy Disk Controller
+Dual UARTS
+Infrared
+IEEE 1284 Parallel Port
+IDE

A single chip solution for most commonly used I/O peripherals in ISA, EISA
and MicroChannelŽ based computers. It incorporates a Floppy Disk Controller
(FDC), two full featured UARTs, an IEEE 1284 compatible parallel port and
all the necessary control logic for an IDE interface.

The two UARTs are fully NS16450 and NS16550 compatible. Both ports support
MIDI baud rates and one port also supports IrDA and the HP SIR compliant
signaling protocol.

The parallel port is fully IEEE 1284 level 2 compatible. The SPP (Standard
Parallel Port) is fully compatible with ISA, EISA and MicroChannel parallel
ports. In addition to the SPP, EPP (Enhanced Parallel Port) and ECP
(Extended Capabilities Port) modes are supported by the parallel port.

All IDE control signals with DMA support are provided by the PC87334. Only
external signal buffers are required to implement a complete IDE interface.

100% compatible with ISA, EISA, and MicroChannel architectures

The Floppy Disk Controller:
        16-byte FIFO (disabled by default)
        Burst and Non-Burst modes
        Perpendicular Recording drive support
        New high-performance internal digital data separator (no external
filter components required)
        Low-power CMOS with enhanced power-down mode
        Automatic media-sense support, with full IBM TDR (Tape Drive
Register) implementation
        Supports fast 2 Mbps and standard 1 Mbps/ 500 kbps/250 kbps tape drives

The Bidirectional Parallel Port:
        Enhanced Parallel Port (EPP) compatible
        Extended Capabilities Port (ECP) compatible, including level 2 support
        Bidirectional under either software or hardware control
        Compatible with ISA, EISA, and MicroChannel architectures
        Ability to multiplex FDC signals on parallel port pins allows use
of an external Floppy Disk Drive (FDD)
        Includes protection circuit to prevent damage to the parallel port
when a connected printer is powered up or is operated at a higher voltage