Re: TI-H: lots of ideas

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: lots of ideas

>	For the backlight, stick with green LED's.  Human eyes are most
sensitive to green light from what I've gathered (24-bit color spread is
an applied example, not to mention night-vision goggles)  Therefore, it
would provide the best light and the lowest price.  I think the mouser
catalog has the best prices I've seen so far.

I AGREE!!!

I did tests to determine the best colors. Green is best, but another
reason is that the screen has a green tint. Shining Red, or even yellow,
on the LCD causes shadowing because it absorbs the red light and
reflects the green light. That's why 4 red super brights do the same  at
less quality than for standard green lights. I may try Blue LEDs for the
Fun of it, because thay are closer to Green than red and can be found at
2000 mcds. The highest green led I found was 500 mcds and I NEED to find
Higher brightness LEDs. If you know a source for green LEDs that are
1000+ mcds, LET ME KNOW PLEEEEEZ.  (=

I ordered 12 500 mcd green LEDs, 4,  maybe 6, per calc. even if they
don't work, I'll use them for other things. Brighter would be better. I
also use reflectors in the sides of the screen to reflect light off the
side of the interior back onto the screen, rather than being absorbed by
the black plastic. I also use a fine grinder to shape the lens of the
LED to spread light better over the screen (I doubt anyone has done that
before!) I get a very decent spread, and the LEDs still fit inside the
screen, and those are reds, immagine when I install the final green LEDs
(reds were for testing purposes)!

Wish me luck, and if ANYONE knows where to get green super brights, let
me know.

>	Next, turboing, I'm about to connect a variable cap to my 83, but I
want to make sure that I'm hacking the right components, so if anyone
knows, please get back to me.

Goto ticalc.org, and go to calculators, TI-83, scroll down and click on
the link to Boris Lutz page.

>	Also, a better glare guard for the 83/86.  It's too "shiny."  maybe
just some anti-glare coating would work, but the current setup also
blurs the incredibly sharp images that the LCD provides (I removed the
LCD cover).

The 82/85 isn't that bad, but I do remove the covers often, especialy
when it's dim. It makes the screen clearer, plus, you can reduce the
contrast by 1-2 settings sometimes.

>	Finally (i hope), new hard drive designs.  the XI2C bus (whatever that
is) has a 64K chip.  it's small, but possibly useful.  Maybe it's close
to compatible with I2C, so we might be able to make small expanders, or
put them on the bus to create a larger device with some form of page
swapping or bus addressing.

I2C kicks ASM!  (=

I want to use I2C for as many new designs as possible. That would allow
multiple carts and combo devices (expander/speaker combo).

Also, not related, All electronics sells pairs of speaker assemblies for
$3.00 !!! The assemblys use a bass sound chanel like the BOSE Radio and
they clain it brings out super bass. I ordered a pair for my computer,
TV, Radio setup and I'm going to see if the added bass helps make 1-bit
TI calculator sound clearer, I'll let everyone know. also, if Mel Tsai
does add 8-bit ound support, Immagine if you had high bass speakers that
would, with the expander, fit into a case the size of a small tape
player or Walkman! Just an Idea. I want to see what they actualy sound
like first.

>	Thanks for listening to my rants...

I like long Rants (=

Richard Piotter