Re: TI-H: Add LEDs to your link cable!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Add LEDs to your link cable!

> The linkport can only give out maximum ~0.3 milliamps before it will
> be pulled to ground and produce an error condition.  Even the
> lowest-power LEDs I've seen require 0.8 milliamps.  What's happening
> is that your parallel port is trying to source all the current, and if
> it can't it will end up biasing the wires so that it won't work
> anymore.
>
> And it definitely won't work with just the TI-TI cable, no way, not
> unless you add an external power source for the LED.

I have heard a lot of people saying my design won't work, but it
DOES.  I haven't yet tried it on the TI-TI link cable, but I have
successfully built this for the parallel link.  With the 10,000 ohm
resistors, the LEDs draw an extremely small amount of electricity
(about .0003 amps) which is far too small to affect any link
transmissions.

-Ed Plese
eplese@lnd.com
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/bay/2267