Re: TI-H: MMM....memory

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: MMM....memory

Matthew R Price wrote:

> Here's a thought, what about all those worthless 1/4 to 1 meg 30 pin
> simms I've seen junked lately.  A few of my freinds have stashes of the

Actually, the Extender uP (which BTW is finished and working nicely -
check out http://www.flash.net/~bryanr/extend/ ) started life as the
SIMMPander - It was slated to use normal 30 pin SIMMs with a large PIC.
That is, until Mel Tsai knocked some sense into me. ;-) The SIMMs would
need a constant refreshing, which, if I remember correctly, is a fairly
constant 60 mA draw. Now, for comparison, the Extender uP draws a MAX
of 20 mA when it is writing to memory and/or communicating with the
calc.
When the memory chip is disabled (as it normally is, unless you are
using
it to transfer a file, or such) the EuP draws less than 2 mA - And that
could easily be reduced into uAs if I got the sleep routines working. I
could have mistaken a few numbers, but the point is, the SIMMs would
draw massives amounts of power.

The thing is, the SIMMs would ALWAYS require power, obviously. And 60 mA
would ruin even D cells in a few days. So until we get superconducting
at
room temperature, keep thanking heaven (EEs?) for large density serial
flash
EEPROMs.

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net