Re: TI-H: What exactly are...

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: What exactly are...

As I said, we need a FAQ.. ;) As long as one doesn't exist, I'll keep on
aswering questions like these...

Josh Collins wrote:
> I'm kind of new to this ti-hardware stuff, and I have a few questions:
>
> First, what are all of these devices I keep hearing about, like IC2,
> SPinTerface, etc... where do they attatch the the calculator? What are the
> benifits of them?

I2C is not a device in itself, but a protocol. It can be used to connect
I2C chips to the calculator (remote I/O expanders, EEPROMs, temp sensors
etc.) and, in the future, also to make a network of TI calculators. This is
my most important current TI-85 project. (Ports to other calcs should come
later when the software is finished.)

SPinTerface is...er...an interface in the side of a calc. It contains the
link port pins, the 6V output from the battery and a regulated 5V output.
It uses modules which can have any TI extensions inside. The big advantage
is that the modules can be smaller and cheaper because they don't need
their own power supply. Ask Richard Piotter for more info about it.

> Second, What is the game-gear looking jack on the top of the ti-92 for? Is
> this, as someone told me, an output for the screen to an overhead
> projector?

Yes, it's for an overhead projector.

> Third, Is it possible, using a ti-graphlink cable, to hook up into a 9600
> baud modem and dialin to a BBS?

Yes. Look at other recent messages on the list.

-Ozone

--
*** Osma Suominen *** ozone@clinet.fi *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone ***