RE: TI-H: EL thoughts

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: TI-H: EL thoughts

Sorry this is a bit late, I have not been on the list in several days...

On Sun, 5 Oct 1997, Jan Zumwalt wrote:

> While well meaning, I believe your friend is a bit incorrect. A
> LCD works by reflecting most of the time. When you see a letter,
> the crystal molecules are twisted by a charge in such a manner
> as the light is ABSORBED BY A DARK BACKGROUND.

The background IS reflective, not dark.  When there is no charce in the
liquid crystal, then it twists the light.  When there is a charge, then
the light is not twisted.

---------------------   <-----  vertical polarized filter
888888888888888888888   <-----	Liquid crystal
---------------------   <-----	horizontal polarized filter
+++++++++++++++++++++	<-----	reflective surface

If the reflectife surface is removed, then you would be able to see
through the display (a clear LCD, cool...).  All charactes and numbers
could be seen fine.  A EL panel could be placed here with no problem.