Re: TI-H: lots of ideas

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: lots of ideas

On Wed, 1 Oct 1997, Bryan Christopher Turner wrote:

> > I think that a better idea would be to skip the LED thing (tried it
> > already), and get an actual backlighting panel.  I'm researching this
> > right now, I'll send updates when I make progress...
> >
> > I've looked into Indeglow panels of that size, they would be wonderful!
> Problem is that the screen unit is not separable from the backing without some
> serious hacking.  The LCD screen is stuck to a foil backing and removal of the
> backing may damage the LCD (it's delecate).  (BTW: I'm referring to a TI-92
> mostly)
>
> If anyone can find a way to separate the backing from the LCD, please let me
> know!

There is a product sold as a night light that has an electroluminescent
panel (EL or Indiglo) in it. It is about 5 mm (if I remember correctly)
smaller than the LCD screen in each direction. It is about 1.5mm thick.

The EL panel could be inserted behind the LCD panel, but it isn't very
bright when powered from 120 VAC. I suppose if you could get it up to
about 150 or 200 VAC it would be brighter, but will not last as long.
Supplying power to the panel is the biggest problem: how do would you go
about feeding it in there? Inverters exist which convert DC (like 5V) to
AC for the panel, but one big enough to supply power to the EL panel would
be rather large (and expensive.. about $15, I think).

Getting the LCD off isn't particularly difficult, it just takes a while. I
used a razor knife (sometimes known as a utility knife) to cut the
double-sided foam mounting tape that holds my LCD to its circuit board.
Just be careful not to hit the ribbons, that'd cause a really bad day.

--
Greg Hill
greg-hill@bigfoot.com