Re: TI-H: 92 acceleration question

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: 92 acceleration question

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Bryan Christopher Turner wrote:

:On Nov 19,  1:05am, Wes Mininger wrote:
:> Subject: TI-H: 92 acceleration question
:> ok, I have a switch accelerating my 92, and this is the problem.  I have
:> an 8pf cap in parallel with 3 caps adding to a total of 47pf (the same as
:> the original cap) I can switch between both of these just fine, but the
:> 47pf side doesnt slow it down to what it was before, so, are 3 caps adding
:> up to 47, not 47pf? they are connected in series, so it shouldnt be that
:> bad...  for example, integrating 1/(x^7+1) (it gives the same thing back
:> because it cant find the answer) takes 1 minute 30 secs with the turbo
:> switched on, and 1'45" with it off... ive tried running stuff to check
:> that maybe it wasnt just that equation or whatever, but it stays turboed,
:> but not quite as much as with the 8pf cap only... any ideas anyone?
:>
:
:   Well, an EE will have to back me up on this, but capacitors are the reverse
:of resistors, so if adding resistors in series adds up their resistance, then
:adding capacitors in series adds their capacitance in the following way:
:            1
: --------------------------
:  1/C1 + 1/C2 + ... + 1/CN
:
:Putting the capacitors in parallel would add their capacetance C1 + C2 + C3..
:
:   Soooo.. you'll need a set of capacitors setup in a way to flip from 8pf to
:47pf, what you seem to have is a set switching from 8pf to 10-12pf (probably
:because of the series attaching instead of the parallel attaching).  This would
:make sense if you were attaching a 30pf and a 15pf (common values) in series..
:
:
:   Your message is confusing since it says that you have your caps set up BOTH
:as series and parallel.  Be sure which it is, and draw out a diagram of how the
:wires and caps and switch are connected to check.
:
:--Bryan
:bcturner@eos.ncsu.edu
:
here is a diagram making it a little more clear.  the middle pole on the
switch is the commonpole, and the current should be routed thru either the
8pf cap or the other 3 caps connected in parallel.  so, should the 22,16,7
caps be connected in series to each other to actually add to 47pf?

           switch
         |   |    |
	 8pf |   22pf \
	 |   |   16pf  - total (or so I thought) of 47 in series
	 |   |   7pf  /
         | (C11)  \_
         \__________|(8pf and 47pf total join here
                     leading to other side of C11)