TI-H: E-mail went dead. Backlight! Anything new?

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: E-mail went dead. Backlight! Anything new?

My email went dead. If there is anything new, cool. I'll probably get to
the archive sometime though. Has any work been done on the FAQ? I can
get a general SPinTerface FAQ out if it's needed.

I designed a GREAT BACKLIGHT THAT WORKS, but it only works well on some
calcs. All the calcs should work with it, but it seems that the
polarizer/reflector pair come in TWO VERSIONS! The CE and a version 9
ROM TI-85 that I upgraded had dimm screens with the backlight off. It
looks fine with it turned on though! The other calc (mine) was a version
10 ROM TI-85 and it is fairly bright with the Backlight on or off. It is
100% internal, however, because of the current drain, I recomend using a
battery expander with it. I have a new one that looks GREAT and even has
a small storage compartment built in.

The backlight was made from parts of a CCFT Backlit Monochrome 640x480
pixel Sharp LCD. I removed the refractor plate and the diffuser and used
them to create 8 small backlights. The CCFT tube is replaced by 4-6
LEDS. The light lights the ENTIRE screen. There is a little bright beam
from each LED, but that doesn't matter because even the dim areas are
bright! It ends up looking fairly uniform, more like bright spots on a
lit screen than dim areas with bright beams. Those dim areas are the
problem with any internal LED backlight. The design reflects that light
from behind the screen fixes that. I played daedalus in total DARKNESS
already, and a screen has to be good to do that!

I won't have the directions for my new stuff up for a while because of
my job, but if you have questions, ask.

Richard Piotter

E-Mail:
richfiles1@hotmail.com