Re: TI-H: Modems, Chips, and TIs...OH MY!!!

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Modems, Chips, and TIs...OH MY!!!

>> I don't really understand what you mean... There's no way to actually
>> change the voltage levels at which the TI outputs, and going from a 0
>> to 1 and 1 to 0 has virtually identical rise and fall times so doing
>> one or the other won't make much difference.
>
>This is not true, for the most part.
>
>Any Mac user (such as myself) should be familiar with the latest (not
>yet released) Exponential X704 microprocessor.  Set to run at 533Mhz
>(fastest chip -ever-), it utilizes bipolar technology.  This means that
>the transistors, instead of switching on and off, they switch from high
>to low, which is faster.  Of course, it runs much hotter too.

But I wasn't talking about anything other than the TI-85's link port.
Of course other devices switch at different logic levels, but that has
nothing to do with the TI-85.  My point was that you cannot get the
TI-85's link port to switch at different voltage levels without
internally changing the components, which for all intents and purposes
is impossible.

Besides, the idea of "high" and "low" switching instead of on/off
switching has been around forever.  It's not a new thing.  They just
used a better sub-micron technology so that they could do it even
faster.  The idea of the totem-pole transistor pair or the BiCMOS
processes are very similar.  I guess the latest processors, though,
are just now using it to its full potential.  And reguardless, just
because the clock speed is twice as fast doesn't mean that system
performance will be twice as fast.  The PII has a much faster clock
rate than the PPro but in the end it's not more than 15-20% faster
overall.

And in the end Macs will be dead in about 5-10 years anyways :)>

Flame away Chewtoy:).

-Mel
-The TI-Memory Expansion Homepage
-http://www.egr.msu.edu/~tsaimelv/expander.htm