Re: TI-H: PICTURE of ADB Mouse

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: PICTURE of ADB Mouse

>The firmware isn't in the mouse.  It is in the computer.  The firmware
is
>tne ADB stuff.

YES and the ADB HARDWARE is in BOTH the MOUSE and the MAC!

>I'll scan a picture of my Apple ADB mouse and you can find the chip.

I SCANNED MY OWN. You can see the nice little ADB interface chip, which
converts the movement data and then sends that data over the cable using
the ADB interface protocol.

>Here are the parts inside of a mouse:
>1 switch
>2 rollers
>6 resistors
>8 capicitors
>1 diode
>1 transistor
>1 wire link
>1 plug
>
>Thats all.  And the mouse works fine.
>
>Grant

Right, then why is there a massive chip in the middle of the board. I
scanned it and you can see it easily. I didn't scan it because I only
thought of it a second ago, but I took the circuit board out and looked
at the solder side. THERE IS ANOTHER CHIP!!! TWO CHIPS IN THE ADB MOUSE,
not none as you claimed. That means that everything is pretty well made
into a simple protocol. If someone can read that protocol (Inside Mac),
then interfacing to the ADB port should be SIMPLE.

I don't know if this is accurate, but I think I read somewhere that the
ADB port provides 500 mA for devices to run. I have two Joystics, and
alps Glidepoint and keyboard all running off of one. If all that uses
only that much, and the SF expander cartridge used about 15-20 mA when
in use, then say 500/4=125 mA. It would probably have its own power
source in an AVR controlled box.

Another option may be DIRRECT CONNECTION TO THE LINK PORT. ADB, I think,
uses two lines for DATA and two lines for power. If a small battery pack
were used, or if the SPinTerface port were used, then power could be
supplied to it. The two data lines may be possible to emulate on the
link port.

I don't know all the details, but I think if it's possible, it would be
awesome. I don't care if it slows the calc cause it would only slow it
when you get data and many programs don't need to do more than update a
few pieces of data. X,Y, and MOUSEUP/DOWN.

I am attaching a scanned image of my Apple Desktop Bus Mouse II. LOOK AT
IT IF YOU LIKE!

Here is the REAL PARTS LIST.

1  switch          _
2  rollers          |
2  metal bars        >-(part of the roller assembly)
2  optical wheels  _|
1  dummy roller
1  metal bar (for dummy roller)
1  spring set (for dummy roller)
2  Infra Red LEDs
2  Infra Red Photodarlingtons (type of phototransistor)
24 surface mount resistors
1  Electrolytic capacitor
10 surface mount capacitors (ceramic and another type)
8  surface mount transistors
1  18-pin surface mount IC (BA10339F : 418 327)
1  20-pin DIP IC (343-0072-a N : (M)(C)1989,93(apple symbol).H 418)
1  4-wire ADB cable with connector
1  PCB (MITSUMI : R-22 : 94V-0)
1  Plastic ball guide assembly
1  rubber ball
4  black machine screws
1  Top cover piece
1  Bottom cover piece
1  button piece
1  mouse ball cover
2  plastic pads (to ease sliding around)
1  Copyright sticker

I was COMPLETE with my parts list. I INCLUDED EVERYTHING.

Thanks for your time!

Richard Piotter

E-Mail:
richfiles1@hotmail.com