Re: TI-H: Automatic power switch

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Automatic power switch

Thank you so much!

Lee

<< A simple solution here is to use two diodes. Since a diode will pass
 current in only one direction, you'll need a diode for the battery pack
 and a diode for the AC supply jack:

 adapter line in ------|>-----+

      Battery in ------|>-----+----- power out to circuit

 The negative (or common) line from both sources should be tied together at
 the negative supply terminal of the circuit.

 Here's an explanation of why this circuit works:

 Diodes conduct electricity only when they are forward-biased. Battery
 power will probably always be connected to the circuit, so we'll go ahead
 and make that assumption now. When there is no power from the AC adapter,
 the battery-side diode is forward biased and conducts to power the
 circuit.

 When a (higher) voltage is connected to the adapter side of the circuit,
 its diode will become forward-biased. However, since the adapter voltage
 minus the .6v drop of the diode is still greater than the battery voltage
 (it better be, or this circuit won't work), the battery-side diode gets
 reverse-biased. It stops conducting electricity to power the circuit, and
 it prevents power from flowing backwards to charge the batteries. This
 leaves the adapter powering the circuit, with the batteries sitting in
 reserve. If the adapter voltage dropped below the battery voltage, the
 circuit would switch transparently to battery power.

 Check the diode direction before you build the circuit.. sometimes I go
 dyslexic and draw them backwards.