Re: TI-H: Game Boy games are possible, with work

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Game Boy games are possible, with work

 ----
From: Richard Piotter <richfiles@hotmail.com>
To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
Date: Sunday, August 17, 1997 12:09 AM
Subject: TI-H: Game Boy games are possible, with work

|It would be possible to port game Boy Games. It is like TI-BASIC, but at
|a far higher level.
|I will use TI-BASIC as an example, because most of us are probably
|familiar with it.
|
|1. TI-BASIC, like the Z80, may have different "flavors", but deep down,
|they run the same. There are minor differences, but they are usualy
|things you can work around. With TI-BASIC, there may be many commands
|that do the same things, but the syntax or the wa it is used may be
|different.
|
|2. The screen, though of vastly different size  could be redone, just as
|you have to redo the screen size when porting an 85 program to the 83 or
|82.
|
|3. Sound too would be redone. It would be annoyingly tedious, but
|possible.
|
|Basicly what I'm saying is copy the commands and algorythms of a game
|and make newgraphics and sound for the TI, but if you really want a game
|that bad, would you rather go from scratch and work bugs out or use a
|working model, just redoing a few things and all the graphics/ sound?

For one thing, I don't think you know enough about electronics to start
making those kinda speculations.. And another thing is porting gameboy
games is not possible. For a few OBVIOUS reasons:
1. The gameboy runs off a modified z80 chip. Like the ti-85 this z80 chip
is specially designed for the purpose needed.
2. Another thing is how are you going to port the rom?
3. Last of all  just because something is written in z80 assembly doesn't
mean it can be ported 'easily' to any other product that is wired w/ a z80
cpu.
 My reason for that is:
windows 95 and linux. Yes they both are 'C' compatible, but it's a real
bitch to port from one to the other (at least from linux -> windows95).
However both of those run on  the same cpu, no modifications.

So one final comment for you. Like Bryan Rittmeyer, I hope that you will jus
t THINK before you SPEAK.

Have A Nice Day,
Brian Mansell (Orion2o6)