Re: TI-H: Extender uP SPinTerface cart

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Extender uP SPinTerface cart

>Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:26:39 -0400
>From: Bryan Rittmeyer <bryanr@flash.net>
>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: TI-H: spinterface 92
>
>Richard Piotter wrote:
>
>> The Expander uP will be out soon, and I talked tothe guy building it.
>> might make Expander uP Carts for him. The device is PIC controled so
you
>> don't need special software for it. I believe it is seven small
surface
>> mount parts and the two chips, an easy SPinTerface cart project! I am
>
>exTENDer uP :-)
>
>I didn't want to call it an Expander since A) that's already been used
>by Mel Tsai and B) it makes the Extender uP seem too much like a clone
>of Mel's project. Mel Tsai has helped me out a lot via IRC... however,
>the Extender uP marches to its own drummer and is only similar to
>the ESF in that it expands the memory of TI calculators.
>
>As for the "special software" -- There will still be an Extender uP
>driver, written in assembly language. Remember, I didn't implement
>the high-level TI protocol (not fully, anyway) -- I implemented the
>very low level TI protocol just so I could take advantage of the
TI-92's
>built in TI protocol hardware and ROM calls.
>
>Fortunately, all of the parts in the Extender uP are availible in
>surface
>mount versions. I'm much too chicken crap to build an SMT version for
>the
>prototype... so if I ever personally sell finished Extenders (which I
>haven't decided on yet) they will probably be DIP/PLCC chips and not
>the harder to work with SOP chips.
>
>Bryan Rittmeyer
>bryanr@flash.net

Sorry, about the name slip up. I was typing this at 2:00AM and i have
the SF Expander chips on my mind.

As for the Extender uP as a cart, It would be a bit bigger, but I'm sure
even PLCC/DIP and non surface mount parts could be used. I could easily
make it into a more "squareish" case and it could be built with no
memory chip. Instead, a small connector could be put in its place. Chips
could be in a cart similar to a SPinTerface cart and plug into the
Extender, making it into a solid state drive, with the memory carts as
disks. Even the one you plan on adding an RS232 serial port and all that
stuff could possibly be made into a large cart.

If I misinterpereted anything before, I'm sorry, but I still am willing
to assemble the things into carts if you need assistance. You could come
up with a simple connector (6-8 pins?) that would attach the memory
cart.

Alot of people were asking me if this would be a SPinTerface cart. I'm
atleast going to do conversions for people to make link port versions
into cart versions.

One of us could possibly come up with an "ideal" design for the board if
it's made into a cart.

I'll try to remember, It's Extender, not Expander. Sorry   (:

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A
HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lakes/5081/Richfiles.html">The