Re: TI-H: spinterface

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: spinterface

dunkind@juno.com wrote:

> I installed it fine on my 92, right next to the link port.  It fit
> perfectly and the voltage regulator (which I will change as soon as the
> samples of the low voltage dropout one arrive) fits nicely on the back
> case which holds the batteries.  Looks like it was meant to be in there.

If you could send me pictures, I could scan it and Rich could post them
on his site. Or you could go to staples or something... I'd like to
see exactly how you fit it in there.

> Next step is a powered speaker cart.  You know I just cut up my calc to
> put this thing in and spent $10 on parts already and I can't think of
> anything besides a powered speaker that it's good for unil the Expander
> is finished (assuming somebody with more know-how than me is nice enough
> to write some software for it.)  Is anyone currently working on a

Do you mean Mel Tsai's original ESF? I think that is pretty much dead
and I doubt there will ever be TI-92 software for it. I'm pleased to
report that I have the TI-92 Extender uP driver reading pages out of
the Atmel chip correctly... Once I get the VAT routines implemented,
the prototype will essentially be done.

> ti-modem project?  I think that would be the coolest and would put the
> SPinTerface to good use.  BTW, why is the T capitalized?  Anyways, with a
> modem, the TIs would make great portable e-mail machines.  I've been
> envious ever since I saw one of those Caseopia palmtops.  Why doesn't
> someone write Ti-Pocket Word and IE... I would but I am too unfamiliar

I am considering writing a full screen text editor for the TI-92, for
use in the Extender uP driver (or should I say... shell...) However, IE
would require a TCP/IP implementation which would be very difficult to
do.
Perhaps a port of lynx and bare bones PPP & TCP/IP are possible... but
I doubt there would be room for graphics TOO (unless they were offloaded
onto the Extender... but this is a complicated proposition)

BTW, the Extender uP will have a built in "transparent" RS-232 port..
I ordered two MAX232s and two MAX233s which will essentially make the
Extender uP a graphlink substitute... I am hoping I can get the baud
rate up to 19200 or more. At the Extender's max speed (about 30k/sec!)
the TI-92 gets overrun and loses 50% of all data. But 38400 should be
fine, I'll just have to play around and see...

I wrote up a large hardware hacker's FAQ regarding the Extender uP
yesterday. I'll post it on the Extender site so you guys can take
a look at it. But I'm confident that the Extender uP will provide,
at the very least, a basic platform on which the past ideas of
this list will easily become a reality.

I already have a IR module planned, and the "ti-modem" may once and
for all exist without TI's expensive, large, and slow graphlink.

Regards,

Bryan Rittmeyer
bryanr@flash.net