TI-H: Does anyone know how to explain how to manipulate a Flip Flop

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Does anyone know how to explain how to manipulate a Flip Flop

First of all, assume I am about six years old.  I really haven't done much with
electronic circuitry besides use other people's schematics.  Any alterations
I have made have caused near natural disasters (I didn't cause the eight
blocks around our house to be blacked out, really I didn't).  I am trying to
design what amounts to a serial to parallel interface.

I figure that right now the easiest way is to use Flip Flops.  I know what
they can be made to do, but I need to know exactly how to do it.

Allright: a dual flip flop IC has 16 pins: Vcc, Gnd, R, S, J, K, Ck, Q, Q',
and another copy of the last 7 for the second flip flop.  I know that Ck is the
Clock, but what does everything else actually do.  I also don't know how the
clock actually works.  Is the Flip Flop Set/Reset whenever the Clock changes
or is it whenever the Clock changes to a specific polarity?

Basically, I want a flip flop storing the output from the parallel device
and a second one that indicates which pin I'm looking at.  However, that would
make this a unidirectional converter, but I'll save improvements for later.

Please let me know how this works if you have a clue at all.  I know other
people are working on this and that I just have a pipe dream, but then my next
door neighbor says that it's better to dream the impossible than not to dream
at all (he's a plumber).

Thanx a lot,

-Paul Hounshell