Re: TI-H: SPinterface port reading

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: SPinterface port reading

>To: ti-hardware@lists.ticalc.org
>Subject: Re: TI-H: SPinterface
>From: justin.bosch%tfexchng@min.net (JUSTIN BOSCH)
>Date: Mon, 11 Aug 97 16:18:00 -0500
>
>-> > Well, what is necessay to convert the TI data to radio waves and
>-> vice > versa?  Any suggestions?  And to Rich (the SPinterface guy),
>-> how do you > read write to the port?
>->
>-> You need a full duplex RF transceiver with two data channels. And
>-> such a thing isn't very easy to design, at least not a legal one
that
>-> fits into a SPinTerface module.
>->
>-> The port is the same as the link port, except it also gives power to
>-> the devices. You read it with IN and write to it with OUT (Z80 asm
>-> commands). Check the link port guides at www.ticalc.org.
>->
>-> -Ozone
>
>Which port is it?  I know asm and I know the link port is the last one
>and is seven, so is this eight?  What happens if there is more than one
>byte of data to be read (ie, a memory cartridge)?

The SPinTerface port is an extention of the link port that lets you
expiriment or add super tiny cartridges. It is accessed through assembly
the exact same way you access the link port. Example:  You can build Mel
Tsai's SF Expander that has batteries, and a link cable that has to be
cut up to install, or you can build a tiny SF Expander cart coming in at
only 1/4 inch thick, an inch and a half long and just under an inch
wide. one plugs into the link port, the other plugs into a SPinTerface
port. Both ports carry the cams three wires, Red (Data), White (Clock),
and Ground (the labels are based on the Expander). The only difference
is that the SPinTerface provides the power for the cartridge,
elliminating the need for an extra set of batteries, greatly reducing
the size of the device. Also my amplified speaker. It is the same as one
of those earphones, but a transistor and variable resistor allow you to
create a device loud enough that it doesn't need to be in your ear to
hear it (it's loud!!!). All of these devices use the same signals, the
same lines, so you don't need to change the way you write software. You
can continue writing software for the link cable, and it will
automaticly be compatible with the SPinTerface port. If someone ever
comes up with a way to network calcs by simply daisychaining the link
ports, you could connect link to link with the link cable and then the
SPinTerface of one of those calcs can connect to the SPinTerface of
another. Its link port would go to anothers link port and so on. I know
this isn't (yet) possible, but it's just one of those "things" you can
do with a SPinTerface. There is no difference between assembly to acces
the link port and assembly to access the SPinTerface port. To the calc,
They are the same, but to the user, there are those several advantages,
number one being ease of use (a Cartridge vs. a link cable, box, and
extra batterys) and another major one being cost reduction. Chances are
that you won't ever have to build any type of power circuitry into a
SPinTerface Cart unless it needs something other than 5v. You never have
to buy a cheap (spelled "C-R-A-P-Y") 2.5 connector or cut an expensive
link cable in two. You save on cases, since most projects, without
batteries or power circuits will fit into those FREE Virtual Boy
gamepack covers (see my webpage to find out how to get them). There are
probably other reasons, but I don't want to run out of memory (-:

If you have any questions, just ask.

Richard Piotter

e-mail: richfiles@hotmail.com

home page: <A