Re: TI-H: TI-Modem one big reply

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI-Modem one big reply

>All of you are telling me that it's easier to put a 9600 modem on it. If
>it's eaiser than how do you slap 9/25 pins into 3, you do that and try
>to process all that and the 9600 would be slower. Second off you need
>power, and alot of it, the modem is plugged in to the calc and the world
>and a battery pack (can't plug it into the wall in a tent with only a
>cell phone,) the battery pack would die in an hour. Answer that.

The simple fact remains that the phone wires are analog and the TI
outputs digital signals.  Hence the need for a modem =
"MODulator-DEModulator."  It takes the serial pulse train of digital
signals and MODulates the signal into an analog one through various
methods (frequency shift keying or phase shift keying in 14.4+
modems).  This is an extremely complex process, and there is zero
chance that this could be mimiced with the TI linkport alone.  And the
electronics of building something that could emulate a Phase Shift
Keyed modem are way above even my head (not that I know a whole lot,
but more than most), so I'd say just forget about the idea :).  It
simply cannot be done without a modem.

-Mel