Re: TI-H: IR Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR Link

Adam Kavan wrote:

> >> Is there anything wrong eith the IR Link plans on TI-Cala now?  If not why
> >> don't we use them?
> >
> >They don't work, that's the problem. And you can't easily correct them
> >(that's actually what we're planning to do here, rebuild the whole
> >thing...Mark Levine did his best (probably) but it's not in working
> >condition, so...)
> >
> I don't want to sound dense but even though your answer was helpful I'd like
> to know what about them dosen't work.  Is it the fact that reciving would
> cause them to send or is it some base part of the design?  I'd just like to
> know so I don't make a similar mistake.

Hmm...let's see. I can find at least these flaws:

1) No resistors at the bases of the transistors, although these would be
easy to add. These of course show that the author doesn't know much
electronics or made a really stupid error.

2) It would lock up in a sort of endless loop as soon as one wire was
pulled to the ground lighting a LED.

3) I don't know how well two separate wavelengths of light would work,
they might interfere with each other. I've tried to find out, but no one
seems to know and I haven't tried myself.

So, it certainly would help to redesign the whole system, wouldn't it?

-Ozone

<pre>
--
*** Osma Suominen *** <a href="mailto:ozone@clinet.fi">ozone@clinet.fi</a> *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone