Re: TI-H: IR Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR Link

KEITH T BURZINSKI wrote:

> >I'm seeing three possibilities in building the link:
> [snip]
>
> Well, I'd vote 2.  Concepts of the thing are easy to understand, it's
> cheap, easy to build (it wouldn't require a Master's degree in
> electronics <g>), and WOULD be compatible with EVERYTHING.  I've used
> the circuit b4, and it EASILY goes 50 to 75 feet, even farther with
> lenses...  ;)  It also blankets a room, making it pretty much
> unnecessary to have the calcs pointed at each other (you wouldn't
> have to worry TOO much 'bout people blocking the beam).
> 1 is not practical, especially since it won't work with TI's ROM
> programing...  AND we don't have TI's ROM routines for putting things
> into mem, so making software 4 it would be very difficult (it would
> most likely be used only for games).
> 3 is excellent, but INSANELY difficult and pretty expensive.  Also,
> who would understand exactly how it works.  ALSO, you'd need a
> microcontroller-programmer to put the software into the
> microcontroller's ROM, making it impractical for someone who has
> little electronics experince.

I see, everyone seems to vote for #2. Not a bad choice at all.
Too bad I don't know how to design that unless I go get some
information. You seem to know this, maybe you could design the hardware?
I could help with the software, then.

BTW, just to test the idea I designed and built #1, and it seems to
work. It just lacks software (I used some simple test routines).
If someone is interested, I can post the schematics and my idea for a
protocol for it; as it now seems, it's not going to be the final design,
though, but maybe it will become a historical curiosity some day. ;)
It works without external batteries, so maybe it still could be used for
something...a remote control emulator like the HP calcs? :)

<pre>
--
*** Osma Suominen *** <a href="mailto:ozone@clinet.fi">ozone@clinet.fi</a> *** http://www.clinet.fi/~ozone
***