Re: TI-H: IR Link

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: IR Link

> THERE IS NO WAY TO LINK MORE THAN TWO TI-85s TOGETHER WITHOUT THE USE
> OF A MICROCONTROLLER OR MICROPROCESSOR SOMEWHERE IN THE CIRCUIT.
> (Been there, done that.)  It just isn't possible to do with simple
> logic gates, and the two wires on the TI.  You need more power than
> those devices can provide.  I'm NOT trying to shoot down any ideas,
> just to make a point here.  Got it?  PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME, at least
> not on the lists.

I'm not flaming you, but I would like to point out that with a
reliable enough IR transmission scheme (maybe using the 556's), it is
possible to do more than two calcs without a microcontroller.  Look
at a coaxial network.  There is only one transmission channel, but
you can have many computers connected.  As long as a standard
protocol is developed that can keep calcs from transmitting at the
same time, it will be easy.  There are two ways to do this.  Either
use collision detection like coaxial networks do (_very_ hard to
implement with IR) or simple have one calc set up as the designated
server, in charge of telling the other calcs when to transmit.  There
would have to be some compensation built in to turboed calcs so that
they don't transmit faster than the receiver can handle.  Also, the
standard TI protocol (of course) would not be usable.

Well, I just though I would point that out.  I will help with the
protocol and programming if someone comes up with a simple, working
IR calc-to-calc link, if you guys want.

Ben
shakal@ns.net

Follow-Ups: References: