Re: TI-H: Serial Port for TI-8x

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Serial Port for TI-8x

Mel Tsai wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 1996 21:08:45 -0400, you wrote:
> >I was looking at the schematic on the Datasheet of the 16550 UART from
> >Nation Semi.  It shows how to use it with a basic microprocessor.
> >Couldn't the current I/O unit be taken out of the Ti and replaced with
> >something more normal, like the 16550 and then ANY comm. device could be
> >used with the correct software.
> >Patrick
> >

> One of my first projects will be adding an external keyboard to the
> Expander, then my second project will be adding a UART (probably an
> MC6850, I don't know about a 16550).  If TI had done this from the
> start, that would have made our jobs easy, and of course, TI wouldn't
> want that!  Of course, the real reason is that it just drives up the
> hardware costs, and RS-232 software emulation is much cheaper.
>
> -Mel
>
> --
> The TI Memory Expansion Homepage
> http://pilot.msu.edu/user/tsaimelv/expander.htm

I don't really understand the hardware, but why not the 16550?
Is it becuase of the bus speed or the CPU?  Nation Semi's schematic uses
just an old 8088, so a Z80 from the same era should be OK.  You seem to
know a little about this, should I persue it more, would it be worth it
to put into use inplace of the TI link port?  Is your expander going to
cover these conversion anyway, becuase I plan to build it when your
schematics come out.  Already got my chips.  :-)
Sorry to babble.  Your work is great!
Patrick Sweeney
psweeney@geocities.com