Re: TI-H: TI Modem

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: TI Modem

D. Switzer wrote:

> On Sat, 12 Oct 1996, Adam S. Nickerson wrote:
>
> > Steve Peterson wrote:
> > >
> > > I was planning on trying to design a TI Modem from that 300 baud
> > > national semiconductor chip. Mine should be here in a few days.  Is
> > > anybody else doing this, if so let's team up. :)
> >
> > More details please!  I'm very interested.  How difficult will it be to
> > build?  Projected cost?  When do you expect you'll be posting the plans?
>
>         Hey Steve !  I hope to do the same with the 300 baud chip,
> which hopefully will be here in a few days for myself also! I'd love
> to help out in anyways I can. I'm not the most gifted, but I can usually
> get things working..
>
> Details: There's a 1-chip 300 baud modem that National Semiconductor
> sells. You can order a free sample off of their web site
> (www.national.com, search for 300 baud modem, I can't recall the
> part, but the last 2 digits are 43, you can find it easy enough). I'm
> guessing a few minor pieces would be required, but with the modem chip
> being free and I *heard* (though I can't find it) that national has a
> dtmf generator for dialing for free also, I'm guessing price would be
> like 5 bucks max.. (that's of course not including if you want to do
> some elaborate case to house the sucker in)
>
>         It doesn't seem like it would be difficult to build, the
> more difficult part is coding soemthing for the 85 that would work
> with it..
>
>         let's see what steve says, I'm gussing he's a bit more
> knowledgable on the topic than I!

During my freshman and sophmore years in high school I did tons of
electronics.  At the time I was knowledgable enough to get third place
at the California Vocational Olympics in Fresno.  It's been a while and
I'm REALLY rusty, but I think it'll come back to me. (I'm in my second
year of college now)  I have no problem with this being a group effort,
all ideas are very welcome!  I've got the chip on the way right now.
I'm also working on my TI Hardware Hacks Page.  I'm going to make it the
COMPLETE site for anything to do with hacking the hardware!  I'll try to
have it up by sunday, I'll post the url when I do!

Later

<pre>
--
 _