Re: TI-H: Homemade link cables

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: TI-H: Homemade link cables

I think you are going to need to keep the price a bit lower.  TI's new
graphlink package costs just $35.  So for an additional ten dollars
(compared to yours) your friend could get the real thing.  But I do like
casing, and lights are always pretty (not to mention useful).  If you do
decide to lower your price some more, please contact me...I would be happy
to buy one from you.  I'd make one myself, but I'm afraid that I'll do
something wrong and blow up my TI or computer...phobias like mine would
bring you some nice business.  =)

	-Bart
	 pola@cns.uni.edu

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Tony Do wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> What is the going price for a completely built serial homemade link cable
> (the $4 plan?)  I want to sell my friend one that I'm building, want to
> know a "reasonable" price to charge him.
>
> I'm thinking around $25, including parts/labor.  I figure I make $10
> because the parts cost me $15 (yeah, high ain't it?)
>
> What's so special about mine?   $15 for parts?!  Well, I stick mine in a
> neat black little case, have 2 led's (1 for power, the other to show
> receive/transmit data - kinda like an external modem), and I use a gender
> changer instead of a 9-pin DSUB - it's easier to work with, albeit more
> expensive.  Before, I bought 3 of the crimp/solder type 9-pin DSUBs.  All
> the crimp connectors broke, and the solder connectors, well, I'm not great
> at soldering, so the solder ran all over the place and pretty much
> soldered all the pins on the connector together.  That's that.  :)
>
> What is a "reasonable" price?
>
> Thanks,
>
>  _____
>  __  /_______ _______ _____  __   Tony Do - Franklin, WI