TI-H: Homemade link cables

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TI-H: Homemade link cables

Hi guys,

What is the going price for a completely built serial homemade link cable
(the $4 plan?)  I want to sell my friend one that I'm building, want to
know a "reasonable" price to charge him.

I'm thinking around $25, including parts/labor.  I figure I make $10
because the parts cost me $15 (yeah, high ain't it?)

What's so special about mine?   $15 for parts?!  Well, I stick mine in a
neat black little case, have 2 led's (1 for power, the other to show
receive/transmit data - kinda like an external modem), and I use a gender
changer instead of a 9-pin DSUB - it's easier to work with, albeit more
expensive.  Before, I bought 3 of the crimp/solder type 9-pin DSUBs.  All
the crimp connectors broke, and the solder connectors, well, I'm not great
at soldering, so the solder ran all over the place and pretty much
soldered all the pins on the connector together.  That's that.  :)

What is a "reasonable" price?

Thanks,

 _____
 __  /_______ _______ _____  __   Tony Do - Franklin, WI